Feb
14
Filed Under (Uncategorized) by klease on 14-02-2010

I started out by looking at the Civil War page of Wikipedia. It had so many revisions that there were tabs at the bottom directing me to other pages to see more. The earliest revision was on July 7, 2008. That first version is much shorter than the most recent version.  The revision from November 13, 2009 looks like there must be something wrong with the header. There is just a link at the top of the page. A revision about 10 seconds later fixed the weirdness at the top of the page. Most of the revisions were done almost back to back with other revisions.

The discussion tab showed some interesting things. People were discussing things that they felt should or should not be in the article for civil war. Most of the questions and comments were serious. Every once in a while, someone would say something completely ridiculous and it makes you wonder why Wikipedia even exists. There was also a discussion topic about vandalism. Some people were upset because someone started talking about demons in the middle of the civil war article.

It was really interesting to see the changes in the article and to see responses to the changes in the discussion tab. Dr. Fernsebner showed us a really cool video about the changes that a Wikipedia page goes through. It showed all of the vandalizing, then correcting, then more vandalizing. It almost made the Wikipedia page seem like it was part of the battle. Anyway, I would recommend watching that video. I just can’t remember what it is called!

jmcclurken on 14 February, 2010 at 2:58 pm #

The Heavy Metal Umlaut video is what you’re referring to. http://jonudell.net/udell/gems/umlaut/umlaut.html

Megan Whiteaker on 15 February, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

I had no idea wikipedia underwent all of those changes and that is really neat you applied the video to our class, makes perfect sense! Not only do wikipedia pages come off as they underwent a struggle or battle but it is similar to a government and who can write what.

kokoro on 16 February, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

Sometimes people editing Wikipedia get into editing wars. Sometimes its over larger issues, but pretty often it’s over little, petty differences. It can get quite entertaining. Check out some of the lamest edit wars.